John 5: 19 – “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.”
The Son can do nothing by himself: Lord Jesus, if you can do nothing by yourself, I am beyond foolish to think that I can do anything by myself!
I want to imitate You. I want to be so dependent on You and so connected to You that I only do what I see You do and what I hear You tell me to do. Your ways are not my ways, but I can know You like Moses did. I can become intimately acquainted with Your words like Paul was. I can pursue Your heart like David and receive a new identity like Mary Magdelene. Please do this work in me. And remind me not to lean on my own strength!
- Are you facing a decision or a situation that is beyond you?
- Are you battling fear about your future?
- Do you look at the limits of your own abilities and resources and wonder how you will make it to where you want to go?
- Do you secretly question God’s ability to be bigger than your weaknesses and failures?
In John 15:5, Jesus uses an analogy of a vine and branches to depict how our life in Christ functions. He tells us that He is the vine and we are the branches and without him we can do nothing – we wither and die spiritually and emotionally. This is the same thing that he said in the verse from John 5 above about Himself. I see a pattern here! He can do nothing without the Father and He only does what he sees the Father doing. Likewise, we can do nothing by ourselves; we can, however, do all things that we are called to do through Christ who strengthens us.
Try these four steps to connect to the supernatural power of God for your life:
- Ask the Lord for what you need. Whether it’s wisdom, provision, strength or transformation, ask God for what you need.
- Offer up thanksgiving to God that He heard your prayer and is beginning the download into your life. (Don’t just do this once. Offer thanksgiving daily!)
- Consecrate the situation to God. Let go of your vision of the outcome and allow God to bring the outcome that He knows is best. He is God. You are not.
- Don’t give up. Delay is not denial.